Did you know?
Some 60,000 thoughts emanate from an average human mind on a daily basis?
40 per cent of employees are constantly hemmed in the fear of job insecurity?
40 per cent of us have difficulties sleeping at night ‘cause of the stress we go through in the day?
Modern day workers are interrupted 7 times in an hour while doing their job?
An average business professional stays distracted for around 2.1 hours every day?
A 10 year long research by Harvard brings forth all these facts which are very vital for us to realize in order to handle work stress.
Now that we know the facts, let us also understand ways to handle this stress and put it to constructive use instead of letting it ruin our daily work and subsequently our work-life balance.
- Identifying where the stress is coming from is the first step. Specifically pinpointing the stressors in your work life is like getting one step closer to getting organized & taking necessary action.
- Shifting your mindset towards things that you love to do and resolving the concerns bothering you should be the next step. Taking some good time out for relaxing activities could help you achieve this.
- Be open to differences in opinions and hang out with positively motivated people.
- Clearly demarcate the thin boundaries between worrying & caring.
- If you have a lot on your plate, carefully pick off the negotiable tasks and find alternative ways for tasks which can make you vulnerable to stress.
- Stress is a lot about time management. Pre-plan your schedules and keep scope for emergency tasks.
- Figure out things that can energize you and cool you down quickly.
- Let go off the self-imposed stress on your mind by building self-confidence and by being proactive instead of being laidback about important things at work.
- Spend a few minutes every night analyzing the day, be your own critic and plan out for the coming day.
- Lastly, scientific studies suggest that deep breathing really is the best natural medicine and an instant cure for any kind of fear, stress, anxiety or nervousness. Deep breathing pacifies the botzinger (breathing centre of the brain) and naturally releases endorphins that take care of all your worries.
The work expectations from a business professional are ever increasing in the modern days. In such times, it is only advisable to be organized & prepared. As they say, action is better than cure.