With the rise of automation and big data, the IT sector in India is looking at re-skilling about 3.9 million people to meet the demands of the workplace. In the 2018 financial year alone, the sector is expected to add some 150,000 new workers. The latest mantra in the sector is to re-skill or perish.
When an employee joins an organization, they may or may not have the basic knowledge of the tools and system, but their skills will need to be polished according to the company requirement or market requirements.
There are a variety of ways companies address the skill gap including identifying skill adjacencies, on-the-job or project learning and using online learning resources. IT professionals note that dynamism in the industry forces them to learn near real time to be able to meet client needs.
On the Job Training:
On the job learning is one of the most effective methods of learning. Not only is the employee learning, they are also applying what they learning in real time. And that makes for an
- Skill Adjacency: Finding what’s relevant to the on-going project and future demands will be closely linked to the capability and skills of the employees. Whether it is PowerShell, Java, Python, Scrum or Angular, helping employees find adjacent skills will be key to on-the-job training.
- Job Rotation: Providing cross-functional job opportunities across business lines and projects are a great way to encourage on-the-job learning
- Support tools: With the rise in technology, micro-learning, blended learning, and social learning are all increasingly becoming a part of the apparatus for learning on the job.
- Shadowing: Enabling coaching and mentoring relationships are another way of ensuring that the employee learns on the job.
Learning tools are cost-effective and do not necessarily involve other employees, mentor or professional intervention.
- These tools are mostly self-learning tools or include extensive research and developing skills through self-help or e-learning.
- IT is a vast field and there are new technological advances emerging every day. IT professionals can benefit from e-learning and distant learning tools.
- Research plays a crucial factor in the IT sector. The best employees are always up to date on most technology, just by reading or experimenting with their developments.
OJT and learning can be combined to maximize the output as all the organizations depend on proper functioning of systems and software.
It's important to understand that training at the workplace is equally crucial as training by oneself. If an employee does not get proper training and continues to use the method they are accustomed to, they will not grow and their career would be stagnant. This would lead to frustration and there would be no positive output in performance or productivity.
Technological advances are bound to happen. And in this state of dynamism, giving employees tools for self-learning and as well as learning on the job will be key to driving s learning culture in the organization... Remember and acknowledge the fact that knowledge gained by experience will help the business... It can not only increase monetary benefits but will help you achieve your career-oriented goals.