Author: Pawan Alamchandani
We shall discuss the challenge at hand by focusing on following salient points:
- Costs Involved
- Sum total of time, effort and resources involved in
- The biggest one – Candidate’s refusal to join post selection – Start all over again.
- Lack of perennial Talent pool or shared Talent pool amongst subsidiaries – Technology not optimally utilized.
- Internal referral sources not optimally tapped.
- Lack of clarity on Job Role and associated Success Parameters for closure.
- Expectations not clearly set with the candidate at the beginning.
- Delay in decision making or process delay leading to prolonged hiring time and duration.
- On-Boarding missed.
Doing what is Right:
- Look within:
- Internal Sources reduce hiring costs through referrals.
- Succession planning pool where appropriate.
- Technology is a great enabler:
- Robust Profile Management System to adore your Careers Section. Proprietary or third party eg Taleo. Use SaaS (software as a service) based systems for cost-effectiveness. Get a perennial flow of profiles throughout the year. Maintain the database.
- Leverage Social Media Networks – LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, G+, etc. Route traffic to your Profile Management System. Share talent pool across subsidiaries if exist.
- Utilize technology at each stage to cut costs – Tele conferencing, telephonic interviews, video chat, Google Hangout, Skype, etc.
- Have a clearly defined success profile to know what KST (knowledge, skills and traits) are desired.
- Set Expectations Right before you begin: A lot of drops happen over salary negotiations. Know the motivations of the candidate and take a call on whether to move ahead with the procedure or drop the candidate at that stage.
- No Haste, No Delay & Communicate with the candidates on the progress.
- Realistic Job Preview: For offline or distant candidates, get your employee videos and a walk-thru the job, duties, office, events on the web to give a realistic picture of the job and work culture to the candidate. For locals, plan a walk-thru as a part of on-boarding process. Keep the candidates interested and involve them.
Pawan Alamchandani is the Founder-Consultant at ©May-I Consultants. You can follow him on Twitter @pawanalam