While leaders are beacons to their teams, who do they look up to for inspiration? As they guide their teams, what do they, in turn, learn from their teams? What is the one thing that leaders of today can do to make a difference? What are the leaders of today doing to build a leadership culture in their organizations?
As part of our #LeadThe Way series, in a rapid-fire interview with People Matters, Arijit Sengupta, Director Human Resources - India & Neighbouring Countries, Bacardi Ltd., shared the one leader he looks up to, one key learning that he has picked up from his team, and the steps he is taking to build a leadership culture in his organization.
1. Who is the one leader you look up to?
There are several influences on my leadership style, but in recent months the New Zealand cricket team captain Kane Williamson has impressed me tremendously. His ability to drive the best performance from his team in the toughest of situations stands apart.
2. What is the one leadership lesson you learned on the go as a People Leader?
Two key learnings from my experiences
•“Being Present” and accessible all the time is important
• Executing my role not as a position but as a responsibility to help individuals do things differently, while ensuring that they grow.
3. How digitally ready are you as a leader on a scale of one to ten?
I would probably rate myself as a seven out of ten since I’m still working to improve my digital skills
4. Which was the last book you read on leadership?
GRIT by Angela Duckworth
5. What is the one thing leaders should do to make a difference?
Being humble and “walk the talk “. Leading by example works wonders.
6. One step that you are taking to develop a leadership culture in your organization.
Driving Bacardi’s “Next Gen” initiative in the company. This initiative encourages employees to suggest transformational ideas to impact business processes or outcomes and then enables them to “own & implement “them by supporting them with resources and mentors.
7. One thing that you consider as your strength and one thing that you would like to improve on?
• To focus on the big picture
• Developing a creative mindset to manage situations which demand immediate results
8. What matters to you most, effort or outcome?
Efforts, definitely, as they help build future successes and create a big difference in the long run
9. One key learning that you have picked from your team.
Being fearless while presenting ideas and developing and executing them as a ‘Founder’ of the company, not just an employee, irrespective of your role or designation.
10. What’s the one most important factor you consider when hiring someone?
Curiosity & learning agility