How to improve training effectiveness
All though organizations focus on employee skill & behavioral training, yet the average man-days invested is a mere 2 days per employee per year. Large costs, the challenge of taking people off their work tasks makes it more challenging.
Often employees are not enthusiastic and motivated to attend programs and the typical response is
· I’m over tasked with routine and any gap means creating a big backlog
· I don’t see any purpose and value addition to my performance and tasks.
· These classroom sessions are too idealistic and my real-time challenge is different and more complex.
· My last 3 training experiences were demotivating so I don’t feel like risking one more such event.
Why does this happen may more sound like this generation doesn't value serious development, but that is a cynical approach and yields nothing. The fact remains that L&D is serious business and should revolve around business!
A well rounded approach that synergizes business vision/mission and goals to creating a well structured competency frame work and further then supports employees understand the purpose of the behavioral indicators that measure results is the fundamental that needs adherence.
If employees understand the behavioral dimensions that support them accomplish their goals and therefore excel and grow, then there is an obvious motivation to seek inputs and direction to achieve these goals. Further more, the principles of basic adult learning has been ever changing. The manner in which adults take in information is dramatically complex today. Attention spans have dropped radically!
However training methodology hasn't evolved as much. Most of behavioral & personal effectiveness development demands a combination of training methodologies and yet the limitation of a classroom focused method is most easy and affordable. Having said this, the old school ‘Tell, Engage, Task, Review’ method is a disconnect from the routine manner in which adults take in information today. What works today is…
• Practice What Is Preached As The Way Forward.
• Make The Learner Responsible For His Development
• Use a New Generation Methodology of High Experiential Learning
• Avoid Training Fatigue.
• Make it Practical.
• Share Success Stories.
• Poll Employees for Feedback.
• Demonstrate Your Approachability.
Walk around and ask employees what they are doing and what things they grapple with. Show them you’re approachable, helpful, and won’t bite if they come to you with an issue!
Beyond all this, the most crucial aspect is ‘Managing A Well Rounded TNI’ process. A well rounded training need analysis is the most important and crucial aspect that can support all the above fall in place with synergy and smoothness.