Businesses are acknowledging why investing in diversity and inclusion is essential as it plays a major role in their overall talent management practices. To continually challenge an organization’s practices and to have a solid nexus between a company’s values and corporate performance, diversity is important. In the present global marketplace, diversity is crucial as businesses connect with various cultures and clients across the world so they must vouch for an equally diverse workplace. The benefits of diversity touch every area of the business with its results reflected by enhanced creativity, added language skills, global perspective, innovative processes, improved productivity, new attitudes in
The benefits of diversity touch every area of the business with its results reflected by enhanced creativity, added language skills, global perspective, innovative processes, improved productivity, new attitudes in the workplace, and new solutions to complex problems. The businesses that fail to realize the immense contribution of diversity and inclusion to the business might not be able to attract and retain employees, clients and business partners that hold the power to transform the business in the next 5 to 10 years. Diversity and inclusion impacts various internal and external stakeholders, some of the advantages of diversity in the workplace are:
- Improved productivity: Diversity and inclusion help your business by adding diverse talents in your workforce who come with wonderful backgrounds and experiences. Together, this talent pool works towards your company’s objectives by using their unique set of sets of skills which increases their loyalty, retention, and productivity
- Enhanced creativity and troubleshooting: When diverse minds come together to solve a problem, many creative solutions take birth as every individual brings in his unique perspective and a different way of solving problems and making decisions.
- Better retention rate and brand outlook: Diversity and inclusion help to add a competitive edge to the business as diverse employees bring new language and skills pool. This helps a business to add to its global outlook.
- Synergy and collaboration: Diversity help to build synergy across teams and improves communication skills in the entire workplace. It also gives the other teammates a chance to improve their skills and learn from their colleagues that come from diverse backgrounds.
How to improve diversity in your hiring
For any organization to improve its diversity and inclusion score, it is important to become culturally viable for such talent. Companies can follow the mentioned practices to make their workplace diversity ready:
- Make your jobs more attractive to job hunters by stressing on the factors that will appeal to a diverse candidate pool. Your organization must be culturally sensitive when listing out the attributes that make your company a great workplace.
- Make your workplace aware about the benefits of a diverse workforce. Managers must implement personnel policies that support diverse talent. All employees must know that hiring decisions should be based on suitable candidate and not quotas. Make your recruiting process more transparent and accessible to diverse candidates.
- Create policies such as childcare subsidies, creche, onsite daycare, and flexible timings for working mothers. Offer flexible and optional cultural and religious holidays along with diversity-friendly but office suitable apparel choices. You can have several cultural offerings in your workplace like ethnic restaurants, canteen which caters to the culinary needs of the diverse workforce, international and regional movie screenings etc.
- Offer new hires good reason to stay in your organization and devote time for employee retention practices. Assign them a buddy when they join who helps them understand the company’s culture and practices. Give them adequate opportunities for learning and development and set up mentoring programs to foster learning relationships.
- Create affinity groups that enable small teams of diverse employees to brainstorm about new ideas that make them feel belonged and included in the workplace.
- Use surveys and interviews to analyze your diversity attrition. Your human resources department can use this to determine why minority or diverse employees are exiting the organization and the measures that can be adopted to curb future losses.
Diversity and inclusion are very important for an organization to boost their engagement with the employees as well as clients. Overlooking the impact of diversity in this global marketplace will make an organization lose on its productivity and profitability which forms the core of its existence. That’s why companies must be willing to change to have policies in place that focus exclusively on diversity in their organizational development goals.