Two engineers lost their lives following a suspected gas leak on Monday morning at the Rashtriya Ispat Nigam unit in Visakhapatnam (Visakhapatnam Steel Plant). The two were working for SMS Siemag India Ltd, engaged on a contract job in the plant. According to workers at the facility and union leaders, the two – Rajneesh Singh and Anush Bhaskar – were working in the steel melt shop (SMS) when the accident occurred. First, Singh (35) went into the container lab in the morning and he immediately collapsed. He died on the spot. Then, Bhaskar (24) went in and fainted. He was taken to the hospital in the steel plant and died there. Workers said they may have inhaled some poisonous gas, probably carbon monoxide, in the lab. A few gas cylinders were stored in the lab, it is learnt.
Read the Hindu Business Line news report here.