People Matters Logo

Over 2,000 employees protest after Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL recruitment

• By Samriddhi Srivastava
Over 2,000 employees protest after Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL recruitment

The Jharkhand government's decision to cancel the JSSC-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination has triggered widespread protests among newly recruited employees and created uncertainty across several state departments.

More than 2,000 government employees, many of whom joined service after December 2025, now face the prospect of losing their jobs following the state's move to scrap the recruitment process amid allegations of irregularities.

The fallout was visible across Ranchi on Tuesday, where affected employees gathered outside the State Secretariat and government offices, demanding that authorities identify and punish those responsible for any wrongdoing rather than invalidate the appointments of all successful candidates.

Recruitment rollback sparks employee backlash

The decision was announced after the Hemant Soren-led cabinet resolved to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination following months of protests by students who alleged irregularities in the recruitment process.

Employees appointed through the examination said they had secured positions through the prescribed selection mechanism and had already begun serving in various departments.

Many of the recruits are currently posted in:

  • Finance Department
  • Home Department
  • Road Transport Department
  • Labour Department
  • Information and Public Relations Department
  • Various district and administrative offices

The sudden reversal has raised concerns about both employment security and the continuity of government operations.

Among the protesters was assistant section officer Kaushal Kumar, who questioned the basis for cancelling all appointments.

Employees gathered outside the Secretariat carried placards and urged the government to distinguish between candidates who may have benefited from wrongdoing and those who had cleared the recruitment process legitimately.

Careers thrown into uncertainty

Several employees said they had left stable careers elsewhere after securing government positions through the recruitment drive.

Ashish Minz, currently serving as a labour enforcement officer in Khunti, said he had previously worked at LIC and later at the Food Corporation of India before joining government service through the JSSC-CGL recruitment process.

According to Minz, he prepared for the examination while working and accepted the government role after successfully clearing the selection process.

Employees say the cancellation has disrupted career plans, financial commitments and long-term professional prospects.

Multiple posts affected across administration

According to affected candidates, appointments were made to a broad range of government positions following judicial scrutiny and court proceedings linked to the recruitment process.

Posts reportedly affected include:

  • Assistant Section Officer (ASO)
  • Circle Inspector
  • Block Supply Officer
  • Block Welfare Officer
  • Labour Enforcement Officer
  • Planning Assistant
  • Junior Secretariat Assistant

Prince Priyadarshi, an assistant section officer, said many recruits had joined only after legal proceedings relating to the recruitment exercise had concluded.

The uncertainty is also creating operational challenges for departments that have integrated the newly appointed employees into their workforce over the past several months.

Wider impact could extend beyond JSSC-CGL

The government's decision extends beyond a single examination.

The state cabinet has also decided to cancel recruitment examinations conducted since 2014 by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd.

While the government has not yet issued a detailed notification outlining the full impact of the decision, estimates cited by candidates suggest that, in addition to around 2,000 JSSC-CGL appointments, another 1,000 jobs linked to other recruitment processes could potentially come under scrutiny.

The affected employees have demanded a CBI investigation into the alleged irregularities and have stated that any candidate found guilty should face action.

Many have pointed out that the recruitment process had already been examined through judicial proceedings before appointments were finalised.

Government promises reforms and inquiry

The Jharkhand government has defended the cancellation as a necessary step to restore trust in the state's recruitment system.

Higher and Technical Education Minister Sudivya Kumar said affected candidates have the option of pursuing legal remedies.

Meanwhile, JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged the concerns of employees and said the party understood their distress.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren has announced an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal. The panel will recommend measures to strengthen recruitment processes and improve transparency.

The government has also ordered a probe under a retired High Court judge to examine the allegations surrounding the recruitment exercises.

As legal challenges and administrative reviews gather pace, thousands of employees remain uncertain about their future, while departments across Jharkhand assess the impact of potentially losing a significant portion of their recently recruited workforce.