According to India Intent Hiring Survey, Maharashtra ranks among the top three states in terms of skills related to numerical and logical ability, computer literacy and English language making it the most preferred hiring destination.
What is the study?
The survey was part of India Skills report 2017, a joint initiative by PeopleStrong, Wheebox and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), LinkedIn, AIU, AICTE and UNDP. The study was conducted with over 125 employers and 5 lakh candidates from across all 29 states on various parameters like skills in English language, domain knowledge, numerical and logical ability and various soft ones like critical thinking and conflict resolution.
What are the outcomes?
- In terms of hiring, Maharashtra tops the list of maximum percentage of employable candidates as well as is the most preferred hiring destinations by employers across different sectors such as banking, pharma, FMCG, automobile to name a few.
- In Maharashtra, the employers have shown an increase in hiring intent (in the range of 5-10 percent) from last year.
- The study also revealed that Maharashtra is the most preferred state in terms of talent acquisition.
- The other states to top the list after Maharashtra are Delhi, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh in terms of most preferred hiring states.
- Another key highlight of the report is that Bangalore seems to be the most preferred place for employees to work.
PeopleStrong Co-founder and CEO Pankaj Bansal said,
“It thus becomes clearer that focus on matchmaking skills with jobs has a huge impact. The fourth edition of India Skills Report, 2017 has come up with the new found focus on employability and matchmaking than mere skilling.”
As the digital and gig economy kicks in, job scope cannot remain restricted to few glamorous and metro cities. Chances are there that they will trickle down to thousands of pin codes across the country thus leveraging hiring opportunities in middle-weight cities as well.