Direct selling has been one of the oldest and most traditional forms of selling. With a developing economy and growing consumerism, business of sales has always been a vital part contributing to the growth and development of the country. Though the market for direct selling is still relatively new and at a developing stage in India, it will experience a significant change and transformation in the years to come.
In earlier days, door-to-door salespeople were mostly men who went knocking on doors carrying products and selling them to the consumers. However, the situation is taking a turn now. Corporates and brands are now attracting and hiring more and more women in the direct selling channel. The direct selling business has significantly contributed towards women’s empowerment, skill development, and growth. It has been providing additional income opportunities to a large pool of talent and also promoted micro entrepreneurship.
In a country like India, while it has been the male population who has travelled from door to door to sell products, it has been the female folks who have been the decision makers of these household appliances/ products. Infact, even today they have an upper hand when it comes to buying products for their homes and families. Thus women have always played an important role in the direct selling business, both as buyers and sellers. Recently, with the changing role of women in the society, a notable trend has been observed where women are now open and willing to opt and work in other sectors of the industry as well. They are looking for more employment opportunities to have an extra income source and be economically independent.
Direct Sales arena has proved to be one of the quickest, easiest and best available option for women throughout the age spectrum. Listed below are few reasons why more and more females should enter the direct selling business.
- Flexi Working Hours- Unlike other industries where women have to go out and work for set dedicated hours, the direct selling business offers them with time flexibility. They get the freedom to work in different shifts as per their time and convenience
- Immediate Source of Income- Direct sales offers an immediate source of income to these women. Many companies offer performance based incentives, bonuses, trips etc. to encourage and motivate them to work
- Skills & Qualification- Women have better convincing skills and good selling techniques that are required to approach customers and promote the brand. This business does not require any specific qualification. One needs to have good understanding of the product and decent demonstrating skills. Hence, it provides a platform to women to become economically independent without any additional investment or cost
- Training & Personality Development- The business allows women to enhance their leadership and sales skills. It also helps them in improving their interpersonal skills and gives them an opportunity to be the leaders, where they are able to build a team, mentor and train others. Also, corporates provide them with self-defense training which further helps them in their personal and professional lives
- Safety & Security- Companies are taking major steps to ensure safety and security of women employees, where they are implementing apps that allow geo-tracking of the location of the women when on field
- Work from Home- Along with the option of flexible hours, the field also provides women with the option to work from home. Working from home helps them in devoting their time to their families and for personal engagements, simultaneously ensuring that their professional growth is up to speed and is not hampered.
Understanding the need and importance of women, corporates are now recruiting and including women employees at all levels in their workforce. They are approaching and encouraging females to step out of their homes and opt for frontline jobs that are mostly at shop floor and field level. Moreover, companies are providing them with full-fledged training on demonstrating technologically advanced products to boost up their confidence and increase sales.